Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Gratitude

Today started off pretty crappy. I woke up at 5:30 stressing out about something and I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and went to the gym. The gym part actually worked out well. I got in a decent 30 minute workout, which is all I was aiming for because I'm kind of nursing an ongoing injury right now.

The workout was definitely the best part of my day so far. Well, that and the hair cut and new darker color that I got last night. I realized when I returned from the gym that I must have cycled into depressive mode overnight. I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't sleep more when I'm depressed. I get so upset and anxious that I can't sleep. On top of that, stress, sadness about something, frustration at more than one thing have made for a rather challenging day.

I am, in general, a very positive person. So much so that people have called me the energizer bunny, told me that every time they see me I'm smiling, teased my about my level of enthusiasm (in a friendly, joking manner of course). Even when at my worst, I hate to be negative for too long. One of the best ways for me to take a step back and adjust is to think of the things I am grateful for. On the heals of my photo gallery about happiness, I thought sharing those things here would be a nice follow up. You'll notice some cross over from yesterday's images.

  • My understanding and supportive family and friends 
  • Cinn
  • Having a career that I love, and owning my own company
  • Having a community of other entrepreneurs who understand the lifestyle, and the struggles and rewards that go with it. 
  • A good cup of coffee that I can sip slowly which helps me to relax and breathe
  • The organizations that have helped me grow personally and professionally
  • My creativity and imagination, even if I don't understand it yet (blog coming on this topic)
  • My generally happy and energetic disposition
  • My resilience and determination
  • The ability to travel 
  • Overall good health, even with this condition
Those are just a few things. My brain is a bit tired from cycling so I'm not at my most creative. I want to be clear that I'm not one of those people who never lets someone have a bad day by constantly pointing out how it can always be worse. Of course it can - it could always be worse for just about everyone, given a deep enough comparison. I simply don't like to drag myself down for too long - my depressed cycles are good enough at bringing me down without me helping it along any further, and making these lists helps. 

What are you grateful for? What keeps you going when you're feeling at your worst? 

No comments:

Post a Comment