Thursday, February 28, 2013

Looking Up

Last week was pretty crap-tastic. I pretty much got hit from all directions. And I'll admit, it wasn't a pretty weekend for me (emotionally, and probably physically as well). I tried, and some friends and family certainly helped, but it just was really rough. When you get rocked like that, and you've been ill to boot, it's not going to all get magically better, no matter what anyone says. But, it does get slowly better - you just have to notice it. So today, I thought I'd give some homage to those little things that are helping make this week, and even helped make this past weekend, on the up slope (in no order, not even chronological).

  • Got to see my brother, sister-in-law, and my adorable niece and nephew on Sunday (they say Maya a lot, it's super cute). 
  • Dinner, conversation and laughs with several friends I haven't seen in a while.  
  • Felt well enough to actually do gentle yoga this morning - I'm trying not to push it. 
  • I get to see my Philly travel tweeps tonight. 
  • I started a Facebook page for Lilies and Elephants and it's been liked, commented on, and shared by over 70 people already. That may not sound like a ton, but I'm all about baby steps. 
  • The Flower Show is here next week. I LOVE the flower show (especially Lilies!). 
  • My inability to work out has not (yet) caused me to gain a bunch of weight like I thought it had, at least according to my scale. 
  • Red wine - enough said. 
I know these things may seem insignificant, but they're not. Not to me. Because I'm willing to guess that unless you're in some very unique position, 95 percent of the days we have aren't filled with huge mega accomplishments or incredible events. Think about it - compared to the number of days you've lived, how many days have you gotten a promotion, started a relationship/gotten engaged/gotten married, had a child, closed that huge piece of business you've been working on for ages, received a major award, etc? Really, it's probably not very many. I'm not saying this to depress you, I promise, so stay with me here. Now, think about the number of days you've had a great workout, enjoyed a good conversation with a friend, drank a nice warm cup of coffee on a cold day at your favorite cafe, helped someone with advice or support they needed, been helped with advice or support you needed, taken time for your favorite hobby. It's probably a lot higher than the previous percentage. 

So today, I simply thought I'd share those little things that have made me happy this week. Because certainly, I feel it has to go up from last week. But really unless I decide to look up, I'll never know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment