Monday, February 11, 2013

Why I Don't Want To Be Perfect

I am not perfect. Sorry to say, neither are you. Or the person next to you. Or the person next to him/her. Truly, nobody's perfect. Even the most seemingly perfect of people mess up, have their faults, make the wrong decisions from time to time. It's because they're human. And as humans, we have human nature. It might mean we get frustrated, stressed, lazy, jealous, angry, hurt.  It might even mean, ironically, that we're a perfectionist. I can honestly say that at some point or another in my life, I've been all of the above. Not consistently, and not at the same time, I hope. But maybe even for a few minutes. I'm not a lazy person, but I have moments of "I don't want to do a damn thing but turn on this crappy TV show and stare at it for a few minutes." The thing is - that's totally ok.

If you know me, you know I feel that "normal is boring" (also, a setting on the dryer - whichever phrase you prefer). I truly mean it. I actually like being imperfect. It allows me to learn and grow, to adjust and evolve. If I did everything perfectly the first time - or ever - how boring would that be? I'd go through life, day after day, doing the same thing, being perfect. Yuck! Do you know how many people I wouldn't have ever met if I was perfect? For instance, I've made some wonderful friends through blogging and social media posts about my condition. We share this amazing bond that,  if I was perfect, we wouldn't have.

Or take, for instance, the fact that I'm admittedly a very emotional person. Yes, I take things to heart that maybe I shouldn't. Yes, I put more stake in certain things said or done - or, as the case may be, not said or not done - than others might. Yes, it might cause disagreements and fights because of how emotional I can get. But guess what - that same ability to feel things deeply is the reason I'd drop everything and run to you when you're having a bad time and need a ear or a shoulder. It's the same reason I have forgiven so many things that most people think I never should have. I can put myself in people's shoes. I can feel their pain when they are truly apologizing and hurting because they've upset me. It's the reason those that I'm close to get personalized cards for their birthdays instead of a generic e-card. It's the reason I have, at times, given to others at the expense of myself (a bad habit perhaps, but it's tough to break because I truly care so deeply). It's the reason I try to go above and beyond for people in my life. I do these things because the emotional aspect of things is so important to me and I want to share that caring with others.

So no, I don't want to be perfect. Do I wish I didn't have a condition? Well, what's the point in that? I have it. I have to make the best of it, and so I look for the positive aspects and the positive things I can do with it. But here, perhaps is the best thing about me not being perfect and not striving to - I don't want you to be perfect either! How boring (see the theme here) would it be to be around someone that does everything perfectly. Not to mention, I'd feel like a total loser! Kidding. But seriously, I like others' quirks for the same reason I like mine. They make people more human.  Imperfection allows us to learn from each other, help each other, guide each other. That, to me, is beautiful. It's what makes the world go round.

So go out there today and (while keeping it legal and moral) be imperfect.  While you're at it, applaud others for their imperfections. Because otherwise, the world would be a really boring place. 

2 comments:

  1. Love this maya. I was just sitting down to illustrate my book, something I have been struggling with because it isn't perfect. A good reminder that while I can't draw like others, I have my own style. Better to work on the best expression of that then to be frustrated that it isn't what it can never be - some one else's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well put! You're right - it can't ever be anyone else's because it's yours. Which is the beauty of it. I'm glad I could provide that reminder. I needed it today too. :-)

      Delete