Monday, November 4, 2013

Starting With Some Thanks

I recently made a vow to myself - and on my blog here - to become more positive. I'd been dealing with a lot of negativity, both in my own brain and from some people in my life, and, as the popular internet meme goes, "ain't nobody got time for that!".

With November being the month of thanks, I thought it was the perfect time to not only start working on my own positivity, but helping others looking to be more positive as well. I was inspired by a new app I'm using called Lift, in which you can sign up for "coaching" for various goals - which basically means each day they send you a new step to help you reach that larger goal. I realized that, while I have been letting things get me down the past couple of months, I'm a pretty positive personal naturally, and I really enjoy encouraging others. So I thought I'd start a series of positivity exercises via my blog.  I hate to use the word coaching, as I feel it's become a bit over-used and therefore diluted, but my blogs aim to be along those lines. A series of suggestions and exercises, relatively quick and hopefully pretty painless, that people can do to start to influence a more positive outlook.

Since it was the month of Thanksgiving that inspired me in the first place, I decided to start with giving some thanks. Exercise 1: write down 10 people/things in your life that you are grateful for. If you so feel the urge, perhaps reach out to the people on your list and tell them - it just might make their day more positive as well. Without further adieu, here is my list:

1. My family
2. My boyfriend
3. My tried and true friends
4. My dogs
5. My health
6. My mood disorders support group - they are truly amazing people!
7. The life and circumstances into which I was born
8. My meds and my therapist (I combined as one, since they both work with my condition)
9. Love - it truly is what makes my world go round.
10. Laughter  - it can get you through so much

I could probably go on and on here. These were ten that jumped immediately to my mind. The last two are more "abstract", but they are so much higher up on my list than my possessions and such so I wanted to add them.

I'd love to hear some of yours in the comments (or in a private message if they're more personal than you'd like to share with everyone). I hope you enjoy the part of my positivity exercises! Stay tuned for the next one soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment