Saturday, April 18, 2015

Summer Summer Summer Time...

#HAWMC Day 18:  What are the 3 things you look forward to the most in the summer? Whether it’s travel, the weather, family cookouts or another activity, share with your readers why you’re excited for summer!

Let me first acknowledge that I'm aware that this is my second Will Smith/Fresh Prince reference in almost as many days. What can I say, I grew near Philly in the 80s, I can't help it. 

With that out of the way... Ahhh summer! I love summer. The day I was born it was 120 degrees Farenheit, and I think that must have somehow shaped my ability to withstand the heat and detest the cold. It's almost never too warm for me - though 120 might be pushing it - and I relish the months where I don't have to calculate which layers of clothing I'll need at which hours of the day. 

What do I look forward to most in summer? It's pretty much a tie between... everything. But I'll try to narrow it down. 

1. The long, sunny days. Cold, dark days are depressing. This is probably true for the majority of people, but it's especially true for those with depression and mood cycling. I find my depressive cycles more frequent and lengthy in the winter. It's like the dreariness is physically and emotionally weighing me down. I don't know specifically why this is - I'm sure there have been studies done on it, though I'm less sure of the conclusive evidence. But considering there's an actual disorder called Seasonal Affective Disorder, clearly, there's a correlation between seasonal changes and depression. 

2. The outside opportunities. Fresh air lifts my spirits, especially if it's warm fresh air. Whether it be a concert, a beach trip, a day of hiking and kayaking, or just dining al fresco, I feel more myself, more positive and optimistic and capable, when I have enough outside time. It also gives me the opportunity to connect with nature, which tends to help me feel grounded. 

3. The "summer attitude".  Let's face it, the winter months are full of end-of-year deadlines, new year budgets, people fighting over the closest parking spot so they don't have to walk ten extra feet in the frigid cold. The cold tenses up people's muscles, and the heart is a muscle like any other. It seems in the summer, people are just more open and friendly and generous, and that's certainly the type of environment I like to live in.

Happy Almost Summer, everyone! Unofficially just 38 days away! 


Jersey Shore last summer. Sorry about the random dude in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment