Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A Bunch Of Thanks (And Good News)

Last week I steered away from my usual topic of mental health awareness and wrote a more personal story, about my dog, Cinn. First of all, thank you, thank you for all of the thoughts, messages, texts, and such wishing Cinn well and sending positive vibes. Secondly, I have good news! Cinn's platelet levels have tripled this week! Woo hoo!

The next course of action is to continue her medication treatment and to go back in a couple of weeks to check her levels. But this hopefully means that it is some sort of bacteria that they didn't detect in a test and that's easily treatable with antibiotics. It could also be autoimmune, which is not quite as great because it could mean a longer, or possibly permanent, course of treatment with medication. But it would mean she can live with it. That's a huge, huge positive.

Cinn seems no worse for the wear for her ordeal. She's even lost a couple of pounds, though nothing that seems alarming to me (though I'll certainly watch it "just in case"). We are not in the clear yet, her platelet levels still have about 50,000 more to go, but it's a massive improvement.

One way I've gotten through the last 35 years is by trying to take a lesson from the difficult or challenging situations that arise in life. This was no exception. The support that I got from everyone was incredible. I sometimes (read: often) feel like I'm alone. Not because I don't have support, but because even those who would willingly throw themselves in front of a speeding truck for me can't understand my mental health struggles, and feeling like nobody can truly understand you no matter how much they wish they could gets lonely. But in this, I wasn't alone. The outpouring of concern for Cinn and myself has been amazing. I received texts, calls, and personal check-ins from family, friends, coworkers, and people who I don't know but who read my blog.


Mostly, I credit the support to the fact that Cinn is the cutest dog ever in the whole world. But actually, I think that pet-love transcends most other personal agendas. Virtually every pet lover has at some point lost a pet, or has one that they don't want to imagine losing. And when they think you're in danger of this, they want to do whatever they can to make it better. It makes my soul smile, because it tells me that, deep down, there are a lot of good-hearted people, at least in my world, and possibly the world at large.  At least that's the outlook I chose to take.

So thank you, not only for your thoughts, and well-wishes and good vibes, and everything else, but for making my pup and I a priority for a couple of minutes of your day. It's very much appreciated, from the bottom of our hearts (and paws)!







No comments:

Post a Comment