Tuesday, July 28, 2015

No De-Feet

Upon the completion of my second Overnight Walk, I began looking for an opportunity to continue to help AFSP on a more regular basis. I love the Overnight, and will continue to participate, but I would love to be involved more than once a year, and to help here at the local level.  I reached out to some of the local chapters, and it just so happens that there are opportunities for helping with, and participating in, chapter events and activities.

This Sunday, August 2nd, I'll be participating in the Camden Country Walk around Cooper River in Pennsauken, NJ, to support the Central New Jersey chapter. (At this time, South Jersey is part of the Central Jersey chapter, but keep an eye out because I'm hoping to ramp up the involvement of the southern part of the state).  The goal of the walk is to raise funds and awareness for Suicide Prevention. There is no registration fee, and no minimum fundraising amount, so it truly is open to anyone who would like to sign up. The walk is approximately five miles - or at least officially, I know the park and think it's probably closer to four miles - and is by no means a race of any sorts. Even dogs are invited to attend!

I have formed a team of family, friends, and supporters named No De-Feet (thanks to a good friend for the clever name!), and would love to have you join us. Of course, you are welcome to walk on your own or form your own team as well - I just like extending the invite, because I know that AFSP Walks can be emotional events, and I never want anyone to feel like they're alone.

AFSP has declared a goal of dropping the rate of suicide by 20 percent by the year 2025. The more people who raise their voice and help to bring awareness to Suicide Prevention, the closer we get to attaining that goal. So to everyone walking this Saturday, thank you, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. As a supporter with several very personal ties to the cause, your raising your voice for Suicide Prevention truly makes a difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment