Thursday, June 2, 2016

I Walk For Suicide Prevention Because...

I've bugged the hell out of you all on every social media platform, so you probably know that I'm walking the Out of Darkness Overnight Walk for Suicide Prevention on Saturday. If by any chance you do NOT know this, I'll be walking 16-18 miles (map looks to indicate about 17) overnight, starting at sundown-ish and finishing... whenever I finish. The walk is for fundraising  - raised $1406 - and awareness for the topic of Suicide Prevention, which is all to often ignored, avoided, pushed under the rug because people don't want to talk about it. It's uncomfortable for some. Other's just can't imagine why someone would take their own life. There are people out there that still think mental health disorders are "all in our heads". (Naturally! Where else would my brain be?). People think it could never happen to them, their friends, their loved ones. But it doesn't discriminate. Not even remotely. Why do I walk?


  • I walk because my (second) cousin took his own life a few years back. 
  • I walk because I have friends who have attempted. 
  • I walk because I have friends who have suicidal thoughts. 
  • I walk because I have friends who have lost someone to suicide. 
  • I walk because PTSD takes the lives of so many military, police, and first responders. 
  • I walk because of the stigma surrounding mental health and suicide that people battle every day. 
  • I walk for myself, because I know what it's like to feel that you're losing the battle with your mental health condition, and I want everyone else battling to know that they are not alone, even when they most feel like they are. 
I will be Tweeting, Facebooking, and Instagramming my experience this weekend, for anyone who would like to follow along. To all who walked in San Francisco a few weeks ago, who will be walking this weekend, who have donated, volunteered, and otherwise supported, thank you from the bottom of my heart. It's because of people like you that those who battle mental health and who have been affected by suicide do not have to battle alone. 


2 comments:

  1. This is my first time hearing about this walk you're doing. Amazing. I'll be following for sure! Keep on advocating– the world needs more aware and inspiring people like you.

    Best wishes x.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aly! It's an amazing and inspiring event, the third year I'm walking it (if you google AFSP Overnight Walk it should show details). It's such a wonderful feeling of support for those who have lost loved ones to Suicide and those who struggle! I'll be instagramming, tweeting, possibly FBing so feel free to follow along! :-) I truly plan to never stop advocating!

    ReplyDelete